In this short tutorial, I will teach you how to change your computers MAC address in order to remain anonymous while pen testing a network.
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any illegal use of this technique.
NOTE: I am not using Kali Linux for my pen testing rig. I am using Ubuntu 22 and have built it out with all of the tools that I require to do my pen testing. This technique should work on newer Debian based distributions.
Why change the MAC Address
- To maintain anonymity while performing network penetration testing.
- To impersonate other devices on the network
- Bypassing filters
How to change the MAC Address
- First, use
ifconfigto list all interfaces on the machine.
- Find the interface you wish to choose the MAC address of.
- note the MAC address and interface name
- In order to proceed with changing the MAC of your chosen interface, you must disable it first before changing it’s MAC address.
ifconfig INTERFACE-NAME down
- Now we can change the hardware address, or
ifconfig INTERFACE-NAME hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
- NOTE: you can use any address but it must start with 00
- Now we must re-enable the interface for it to work
ifconfig INTERFACE-NAME up
- NOTE: The MAC Address will only remain until the computer is restarted. Once it is restarted it will revert back to the original hardware address.